Red onion relish
Sticky, sweet, tangy. That's what you want from a relish. This one is a great accompaniment for breakfast, or a nice addition to a burger or a steak.
Servings: 2 medium jars
- 700 g red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 100 ml red wine
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- ground pepper
- Thinly slice the onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pot. Add the mustard seeds and fry until they start popping. Turn the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic and chilli and fry for a minute.
- Add the onions to the pot and gently cook for 20 minutes until soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat to low, then stir in the wine, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, salt and sugar. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the liquid has reduced and the relish has caramelised. It should feel a little sticky.
- Grind in some fresh pepper to taste.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes, then tightly fill two sterilised jars with the relish. Close the lid and let it sit in the fridge for a week before consuming.